[PRINT this page] [E-MAIL a friend] [send us feedback] [home]
The Time Has Come To Stop The Madness

excerpts from a column by J.D. Englehardt. August 22, 2005

As incredibly bad as the army can be at times, it did teach me some very valuable lessons. One is that just because someone with authority is “in charge”, that doesn’t necessarily mean that person is Right, or even a Good person. Not every order handed down is based on good moral pretexts, and many times the outcome of immoral orders makes the situation as a whole much worse.

Eventually common sense, self respect, and real honor for first-rate decency must prevail.

My involvement in the Iraq war is over and done, but my experience there is something that I will live with and work through for the rest of my life. I will carry the shame and degradation of probably every soldier who is forced to fight against his common man and against his will, but I shall not let these burdens drag me down.

My goal from now on is to overcome the adversity of violence and decadence that is so prevalent in our society. The weapons I choose to fight this battle are communication, peaceful resolution, and complete understanding. The war is now on all fronts, and for me the real war is ending the one in Iraq.

I feel I owe it to the victims of this horrible conflict, both the freedom fighters and innocent families on both sides of the spectrum. I simply cannot sit down and allow greed mongers and war hawks to run our countries and govern our lives any longer. I have decided to do my share, collectively with others, to bring this tyrannical administration to its knees through words and acts of civil disobedience.

If we allow the bastards to take a little more, soon enough they will have it all.

The time has come to stop the madness.


You have been reading excerpts from "Finding Closure" by J.D. Englehardt. You can read the entire piece here: tinyurl.com/8ox3n. Many thanks to J.D. Englehardt. Please visit his blog at ftssoldier.blogspot.com.

Powered by Blogger