[PRINT this page] [E-MAIL a friend] [send us feedback] [home]
There Is A Reason

excerpts from a report by Dahr Jamail. August 27, 2005

There is a reason why a relatively recent Army survey found that 54% of all soldiers in Iraq reported either “low” or “very low” morale. There is also a reason why, again according to the Army, that 30% of all soldiers returning from Iraq develop mental health problems 3-4 months after their return. And there is a reason why soldiers like Nicolas Prubyla come home and join organizations like Iraq Veterans Against the War.

“Up until five days ago, I had large amounts of blood in my stool,” he told me recently, “I’ve felt tired all the time, I have had loss of hair…loss of the feeling in my right arm…I’m battling this stuff.”

What he is battling is exposure to uranium munitions in Iraq. He is battling radiation sickness as the result of the most recent nuclear war waged by the United States of America. There is a reason why over 11,000 veterans from the ’91 Gulf War are dead today, and over 250,000 others are on medical disability. That reason (hundreds and hundreds of tons of uranium munitions dropped on Iraq) is the same thing Prubyla is battling today.

“As the years go on this is going to effect a hell of a lot more people than we think…radioactive dust and the clouds of smoke and dust from firing the DU [depleted uranium] is getting to us now,” he said, “And I know I’m not the only person in my unit. My boss got diagnosed with cancer, one of my other buddies who is 23 years-old is getting rashes….every time I do more research on DU, I’m seeing that I have all the side effects.”

Prubyla has realized what more and more veterans understand: that the powers that be in our military plutocracy (also known as the US government) could care less for their well being. One of the shadow members of the current plutocracy who is also an exalted neo-conservative, Henry Kissinger, has referred to military men as “dumb, stupid animals to be used” as pawns for foreign policy. People like Prubyla get this; they have had enough, and are now doing something about it.


You have been reading excerpts from "Two 'Green Zones'" by Dahr Jamail. You can read the entire piece here: tinyurl.com/dv6m6. Many thanks to Dahr Jamail. We visit DahrJamailIraq.com often and we hope you will too.

Powered by Blogger