[PRINT this page] [E-MAIL a friend] [send us feedback] [home]
Military Diaries: 'Suj'

My name is Suj. Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky ones who got out.

From the time I inquired about the Army, I had a recruiter hounding me day and night. I finally decided to take the ASVAB and physical, just to see how I'd qualify. Next thing I knew it, I was raising my right hand and swearing to something I had no idea about.

Give my LIFE!, I was only 17.

I was never told that I could go reserve and if I liked the Army, I could go active, nor was I told that once I go active I couldn't go reserve. I didn't even know that I was signing up for active duty until after I signed the papers.

When I started having doubts, my recruiter told me that it was too late for me to change my mind and I had to go. My recruiter lied and said I would have a traveling job. I've been at Fort Hood for 2 years.

I want to get out but the only options I have of getting out could ruin my career, so I am forced to wait my time out like many others in my same position.

I recommend that anyone who is even thinking about joining the Armed Forces look up all options before contacting a recruiter.

"How do you know when a recruiter is lying? His lips are moving.


You have been reading excerpts from "Military Diaries" from by Objector.org, . You can read the entire piece here: objector.org/before-you-enlist/diaries.html. Thanks to objector.org for this among many other things. We visit often and we hope you will too.

Powered by Blogger