[PRINT this page] [E-MAIL a friend] [send us feedback] [home]
Censorship

excerpts from a report by Dahr Jamail. June 23, 3005

The final session of the World Tribunal on Iraq is upon us. Like the other witnesses, I’m being interviewed by many outlets. Today I spoke with a reporter for a Turkish newspaper which has been running some of my articles, particularly those concerning the massacre in Fallujah. He told me that the former American consulate, Eric Edelman, asked the Prime Minister of Turkey to pressure his paper to not run so many of my stories.

“Why did he do this?” I asked him.

“Edelman said it was the wrong news,” he told me with a smile.

Turns out Edelman also asked that articles by Robert Fisk and Naomi Klein not be run so often either.

He smiled at me while the wheels turned in my head before I smiled back and said, “That makes me very happy. It means I’m doing my job as a journalist.”

We laughed heartily together at this, as did everyone else at the table.

People like Edelman don’t want citizens of the United States to know that events like the massacre of Fallujah or the atrocities in Abu Ghraib are not isolated incidents.

You have been reading excerpts from "Censorship" by Dahr Jamail. We read Dahr Jamail's blog, Iraq Dispatches, at dahrjamailiraq.com/weblog, and we hope you will too.

Powered by Blogger